Saturday, June 15, 2013

Superman: Man of Steel

It has only been seven years since the 2006 Superman Returns flopped into theatre, but DC Comics and Warner Bros. decided it was time to try again with the Man of Steel.  


NO SPOILERS

This time DC and WB went with two people who know how to make great movies.  The first is no stranger to the caped crusader, Batman.  Christopher Nolan, The Dark Knight Trilogy, did not direct Man of Steel like he did his Batman movies but he was a producer and had a great amount of input to help make this movie work.  The director of Superman 6 is Zack Snyder, 300 and Watchmen, who has never made a bad movie.  With these two men attached to the film it guaranteed itself success. Creating a new Superman movie has not been easy according to the past attempts.  From what I have read everyone is still trying to recreate what the late Christopher Reeves did while he was play Clark Kent.  Yes, he did a great playing Cal-El in the 1980s, but that same portrayal would not work in 2013 and that is what happened in the 2006 film.  I had seen the previews for Man of Steel but was not sold on the film like I was with the Dark Knight trilogy or any of the Marvel movies.  However, since I love movies and superheroes I could not pass on seeing this one.  The beginning was very good as it started with some background and then went on to a middle school aged Clark then to an adult Clark who would have flashbacks to when he was younger and eventually make its way to the point where he finds out who he really is.  The movie ends a normal superhero fashion with a big action packed fight and the hero saying no thank you is required but this time in a different good way.

I am not paid critic who has to give good ratings to make the movie the production companies feel good about themselves, but I do try to give my readers good idea of if the movie is worth the $10 plus food and drink.  For Man of Steel I stay that is a toss up.  Was it good?  At some moments it was.  Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe made it better but they are not the in the center of the film the entire time.  I do not think it was as good Batman Begin nor any of the Marvel movies.  It sets a good foundation for Man of Steel 2 but it is no where as entertaining as The Dark Knight trilogy.  For it to be nearly two and half hour long I was disappointed in the movie because it did not keep my attention the entire time and towards the end it seemed to drag on longer than it needed to.  Most people are going to see this film because it a "Summer Blockbuster" or because it is Superman but I was not a fan of the movie and I will probably not be buying it is released on DVD/BluRay.

No comments:

Post a Comment